Sunday, March 14, 2021

Strolling through the (Theme) Park One Day: Taste of Boysenberry Festival!

Knott’s Berry Farm opens on select days for the Taste of Boysenberry Festival and it is memorable! The festival opened on March 5th and finishes on May 2nd.  Some back story, I was burned spending all day trying to get a ticket for Taste of Disney, so I decided to go to park that was more open to people.  I’ll be honest there was only one or two food items that looked interesting at Taste of Disney.  There was six or more at Taste of Boysenberry.  Of course, Knott’s has been holding festivals since last year, and I was able to attend Knott’s Fall-O-Ween: http://geektruth.blogspot.com/2020/10/strolling-through-theme-park-knotts.html.  The price has risen by about $10, but I will tell you worth every penny!  Tickets get you five food or drink items.  I hope everyone can get the chance to have a little fun, and great food, in this safe environment!  This event stunned me since you can see the lines of guests from the street!  I walked up to Knott’s and it was a long line through the Marketplace.  

                                         Ghost Town windmill decorated for the Taste of Boysenberry Festival, photo by the author. 


The line stopped a few times at the Marketplace, but moved steadily through the temperature check and also the security check.  This time every booth had lines to enter!  I had just walked in with just a few people in October.  The event started on March 5th and ends on May 2nd.  The hours are 12 to 9 p.m. for the other days and 12 to 8 p.m. Sundays.  Once you enter, you get an Adult Tasting Card, a long, lamentated card with all of the offerings, and a lanyard.  I knew from youtube videos that Snoppy would be there so I headed straight for Camp Snoopy!  I love the decorations, it is like Easter exploded all over Camp Snoopy, a fantasy world of giant mushrooms, flowers, bunnies and lambs.  Just a halfway in and to the left were social distancing markers to Cave Inn.  I couldn’t wait for the Boysenberry ICEE Float with Vanilla Soft Serve.  The temperature was a bit cold so the cold drink really didn’t help, but it was delicious!  It does not have the tang of actual boysenberry, and the smooth citrus taste of the Orange Creamscicle ICEE float, but more on that later.  


This was the reverse course that I went last festival, but I also saw a photo op with Sally!  It is difficult to find the beginning of the queue, but be patient, there are associates there to help you.  There is social distance between you and the character, but it was on the top level of a building last time so this was great!  The photographer handed me a Fun Pix card which would collect all of your pics.  I know the hassle of being obligated to buy photos, but really throw that away, it is really great to have pics with characters!  The photographers later were happy that I had the Fun Pix card ready.  There was also a game, the carnival games are usually a zero sum game, there was only one I could win at Pixar Pier, the one where you always win.  This is the same with that game in Camp Snoopy.  You choose which prize you want to win, I chose the Snoopy, and you select plastic Woodstocks floating around in a stream.  They have to match and if they do, you win!  Sure, I got lucky the first time, perfect match, but the second time, I was picking up Woodstocks left and right!  Again, I will note that the games (at least this one) are fun, not carnival traps.  


        Apple and Chicken Sausage on a Boysenberry Bun with that delicious Boysenberry, Cucumber, and Pineapple Aqua Fresca, photo by the author. 


Here’s the other point, I was walking around the park and only had one item!, Knott’s has interesting twists and turns.  I found a few paths that I didn’t walk in previous trips to Knott’s.  I just saw the dioramas of the Spanish missions.  They are impressive, a part of California history, I like almost anything historical.  I hope everyone takes the time to see these mission dioramas.  I didn’t see other guests look at them, even those who were sitting next to them at tables, we ignore history and tradition at our peril.  I wish there was some kind of show or movie at the missions like Zorro.  The best film on California history was Golden Dreams at Disney’s California Adventure, I hope you can check it out on you tube.  There was also a recreation(?) of the boysenberry crops for Knott’s Berry Farm and the history of the berry created by Rudolph Boysen and Walter Knott.  This was at the outskirts of the Silver Bullet roller coaster.  Then, I went to the Boardwalk because the Easter Bunny was there for a photo op! 


I was headed back to Ghost Town.  Still, at this point, I was hungry for something savory.  There were some good selections, I had already tried the BBQ Glazed Wings, passed up the pizza at the Boardwalk food stops, also the Turkey Sandwhich and Beyond Meatballs.  There’s always another time.  I was looking for the Apple and Chicken Sausage.  I found it at Fireman’s BBQ, about halfway in Ghost Town, it had a long line.  It looks like a large hot dog with Boysenberry Mustard on a Boysenberry Bun.  The sausage was filling, but I didn’t add the Elote, grilled corn on the cob, with Boysenberry Mayo, Cotija Cheese, Butter, and Tortilla Strips.  Next time? The stand out though was the Boysenberry, Cucumber, and Pineapple Aqua Fresca.  There are certain flavors that don’t last just a meal, this one last hours!  I later had a dessert and another ICEE, but the cucumber flavor lasted until my dinner.  I went back to Camp Snoopy and saw Easter Beagle, Snoopy wore a purple bunny suit with ears!, and also Charlie Brown in a farmer’s outfit. 


                                                                                Calico Saloon performer, photo by the author. 


I was looking for the cheesecake, and ended up at Log Ride Funnel Cake.  It was a delicious Red Raspberry Cheesecake Slice with Whipped Cream and a Boysenberry Drizzle.  The problem was that I couldn’t find a table, I went around Boardwalk, to Fiesta Village, and finally found a table next to Montezuma’s Revenge, half the park!  I hope Knott’s brings in more tables, fill that space!  So the last item was the Orange Creamsicle ICEE Float.  I went back to the Log Ride Mix-It Up and ordered it, this is one of the selections along with the Boysenberry ICEE.  Note also that there are items at different locations around the park.  Still, these food and drink items are special, not regular food offerings.  Universal Studios has hamburgers and nachos for $54!  I can get that anywhere without paying that price.  It has to be special or at least for the occasion.  Strange, since Universal Studios has some of the best food at theme parks.  Lastly, I saw a live band, a performer, Rainmaker, and a well dressed woman on the balcony of the Calico Saloon.  By then, the cold shifted to sunny so it was wearisome now to walk the theme park distance.  So, I finished the day and forgot to get my pics!  Still, Knott’s Berry Farm’s Taste of Boysenberry Festival has food, merch, and a beautiful park for everyone!  


#KnottsBerryFarm, #TasteofBoysenberryFestival, #EasterBeagle, #FunPix 

No comments:

Post a Comment