2023’s Most Expected Films!

This is a list for me, I want everyone to chime in, to see their perspective. Of course, there will be movies that will pop up and stun like Everything, Everywhere, All At Once, RRR, and The Woman King, so this is just right now. These are all genre movies. So let’s begin. Correction, the number one film for me is Hayao Miyazaki's How Do You Live?, Japan release is July 14th, US release is not set (if it is set for the following year, then there are alternates). Studio Ghibli films are an event, Miyazaki-san had retired, but even more than anything is what story that he wanted to write and direct brought him out of retirement? The other part is that the film will be beautiful so more from Hayao Miyazaki is great! Next is Little Mermaid, May 26th, Disney does not have a great track record for live action, granted, but D23 Expo has a way of getting everyone hyped, plus it looks great. 

I can’t wait to see Halle Bailey as Ariel, I still want to hear her rendition of “Part of Your World", and the scene shown was incredible, again the water visuals are lacking, but has to be excused. Next, Dune: Part 2, November 3rd, loved the first one, I think Denis Villeneuve will top it, put in more character drama, can’t wait for the conclusion of the story, Villeneuve’s continued take on the story, and spectacle. Number four, John Wick: Chapter 4, March 24th, I love this franchise, again in the pure action sense, I think with Parabellum that this is the beginning of the war against The High Table, two more films? Director Chad Stahelski has managed to build a world from the first Wick and keep it interesting. 


Number five, Transformers: Rise of the Beasts, June 9th, I had written off Transformers movies since the Beyification, but the trailer bumped up my expectations, plus Bumblebee (2018) cleared the slate for a new direction, Anthony Ramos as the lead, I think Beast Wars is a great new element, Ron Perlman, Michelle Yeoh, and Peter Dinklage voicing the bots?, Arcee in live action?, perfect. 

Six, Dungeons & Dragons: Honor Among Thieves, March 31st, long delayed for some reason, I’m getting the vibes that this could be the worst movie, I didn’t get the hype from Comic Con, but I’m always up for a fantasy film. Seven, A Haunting in Venice, September 15th, I love the Kenneth Branagh Hercule Poirot movies, I liked this year’s Death On The Nile, unfortunate casting, there is more than the original Agatha Christie books, plus an all star cast. 



Eight, Shazam! Fury of the Gods, March 17th, I really liked the first Shazam, there’s a good sense of the story (besides Rachel Zegler’s part), and there just has been a long expectation for this movie! Nine, update, Missing, January 20th, so I'll be seeing this thriller first before the others, I like the "Screenlife" format as director, Timur Bakmambetov calls it, where the story is told through cell phones, computer screens, and other media. Storm Reid is becoming a one to watch actor and moving the story from a father concerned about his daughter to a daughter worried about her mother lost in a trip is brilliant! Lastly, number ten, Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse, June 2nd, the trailer knocked down expectations for me, it should be near the top.



Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018) is the perfect Spider-Man movie so I’m still holding on hope. This is expectation so a new trailer and other material could put this back on top. The return of Lord and Miller with the creative team is promising. Intriguing films outside of my top ten, Insidious: Fear the Dark, July 7th, I like this franchise. I did press for Insidious: The Last Key (2018), I never try to count out Blumhouse films, M3GAN might be interesting, plus Patrick Wilson is directing! Seven, Wish, November 22nd, I don’t know much about this animated movie, I did love the exhibit at D23 Expo, plus seeing Ariana DeBose, could it be a disappointment like Strange World?, I trust in Disney Animation, that’s enough.


I’m intrigued by director Gareth Edward’s sci fi movie, True Love, no information, but a cast of Gemma Chan, Ken Watanabe, and John David Washington, looks like Edwards back in the director’s chair after seven years, can’t wait. Creed III, the trailer looks great, directed by Michael B. Jordan, very promising continuing the Creed story, Aquaman and the Lost Kingdom, December 25th, I have no idea where this sequel is going, it looks like the last outing of Jason Mamoa’s Aquaman, the Justice Leaguers only seem to get two solo movies. The same with Shazam? There are a number of interesting genre movie next year, what films are looking forward to seeing in 2023? 


#HowDoYouLive, #HayaoMiyazaki, #TheLittleMermaid, #DunePart2, #JohnWickChapter4, #DungeonsAndDragonsHonorAmongThieves, #TransformersRiseOfTheBeasts, #AHauntingInVenice, #ShazamFuryOfTheGods, #InsidiousFearTheDark, #SpiderManAcrossTheSpiderVerse, #TrueLove, #CreedIII, #AquamanAndTheLostKingdom 

Comments