Video Game Review - Harry Potter: Wizards Unite Review!

Harry Potter: Wizards Unite launched on June 21st on Android and iOS mobile phones by WB Games San Francisco and Niantic.  This would be my first mobile game since I didn’t have space on my phone until I cleared space for Galaxy’s Edge pics and video.  I missed Pokémon Go (which was also created by Niantic) and haven’t seen much game play for that game or Wizards Unite. I was able to download the game on Monday night.  Then, setup the game Tuesday morning, entering my birthday and wizard name.   There is a CG owl that flies past the Harry Potter: Wizards Unite title and down to the game play street level.  You are part of the Statute of Secrecy this group of Wizards go through the Muggle world (seen on your phone) that reveals traces of Foundables.  These are characters or fantastic beasts that are held captive by other fantastic beasts.  You are advised by Constance Pickering, in charge of the Statute of Secrecy Task Force, part of the Ministry of Magic.  She is a new character though there was an Adam Pickering, a Gryffindor student, in the video games.  



You also get comments from Harry Potter and Hermione Granger so this “feels” like Harry Potter.  It seems to take place after the movies and books.  Your first task is to recover a Foundable, in this case a very well known Giant, back to Hogwarts.  This is accomplished by casting a spell, tracing the pattern on the screen with your finger, which can be incomplete if you don’t trace it correctly.  It can also be a Fair, Good, or Great casting.  Sometimes you have to cast multiple times since the spell can be resisted.  You can use a potion to help in your casting.  It is amusing to see the fantastic beast in the Muggle world, I was by a bank where a Muggle was withdrawing money, while I was battling a Troll.  The graphics are good, the best is an open area, not something flat like a wall.  Once the Foundable is returned to the Wizarding World, you can place them in the proper area like the Room of Requirement, there are so many that it will take some time to complete them all.  When you start the game there is a warning, “Remember To Be Alert At All Times.  Be Aware Of Your Surroundings.”  This is not to be taken lightly, I found three Foundables in a shopping center, and then several more in the parking lot.  I had to very careful of staying out of the way of drivers and cars.  The other note is that it is free to download, but eventually you run out of Spell Energy and can't do any actions.  It is recharged by food and drink at Inns, they are found at parks and "landmarks", I found three in Los Angeles, but not in my area.  Otherwise, you have to buy items to get the Spell Energy to play. 

You also pick up various objects like a Precious Portkey Portmanteau.  There is a key for it, but you need to walk some distance to activate it.  You can also pick up Snowdrops and Armadillo Bile which can be used to brew potions.   Potions are needed for when you duel.  I had one duel, but couldn’t understand how you use offensive spells, I found out you slide over your opponent, until you lock on your target with enough time to cast the spell.  I was just using defensive spells, Protego, until I just quit. There are also Runestones that you win for opening chests after returning a Foundable.  The Runestones are used to make challenges at a Fortress.  I haven’t been to a Fortress yet.  These are all kept in your Vault which you can check anytime.  I found out about all of these after just playing the game so you can just pick up as you go along.  The interesting part is not only being in Harry Potter’s world, but also part of a story.  The Foundables are not a regular occurance.  Someone or some group unleashed them in an event called the Calamity.  You have to piece together what caused the Calamity.  I found a flag that indicated signs of Dark Magic, strangely next to a bank, then another one by another nearby bank.  Oh yeah, you know there is some Dark Magic going on there!  I reached Level 5 after a good day of playing.  It is some engaging game play because I kept veering from my walk to check on Foundables instead of getting some food!  Lastly, I found no urgency in going to Universal Studios Hollywood to cast new spells and see the night time show, but with Wizards Unite, I can’t wait to see what special things are at the Wizarding World of Harry Potter!    

Four Foundables out of Five!  

#WizardsUnite, #HarryPotter, #Niantic, #WizardingWorldofHarryPotter, #UniversalStudiosHollywood 

Comments